Preparing for Tinnerman

Deposit and Payment Schedule
Initial Deposit ($100): October 1st, 2013
Second Payment ($___): December 10th, 2013
Third Payment ($___): March 4th, 2013
Final Payment ($___): May 6th, 2013

Prep Trek Participation
In order to gain sufficient experience with canoeing, those who wish to participate in this trip must attend both the October and May HEAT treks.  Those who are unable to participate in both of these trips may only participate in the summer trip with the approval of the troop leaders.  This decision will depend on physical strength, stamina, and proficiency with the canoe on the trip the participant did attend.

Border Crossing Requirements (Updated 18 July 2013)
If you are 18 years old or older you must have one of the following: 
  • Passport book
  • Passport card1 

If you are younger than 18 you must have any one of the following
  • Photocopy of your birth certificate.  
  • Passport book
  • Passport card

If you are not a US citizen: 
It is strongly advised that you have a passport if possible.  If you do not have a passport, we will need to contact the Departments of State in the US, Canada, and the country of your citizenship to identify the proper documentation for crossing the border.

These requirements are summarized from the following links:

We will begin gathering photocopies of birth certificates and passports in September 2013.  We start early so that we can verify that everyone has proper documentation with enough time to address any issues that may arise.  If you provide us with a copy of your birth certificate, we will retain it in our records for the trip.  We will not hold on to passports until we collect them at the time of departure.

To cross the border, the troop must present a letter on organizational letterhead giving the following information
  • The name of the group and supervising adult,
  • A list of the children on the trip, and the primary address, phone number, date of birth, place of birth, and name of at least one parent or legal guardian for each child,
  • A written and signed statement of the supervising adult certifying that he or she has obtained parental or legal guardian consent for each participating child.

1 Passport cards are permissible for crossing the border by vehicle or by boat.  However, if you expect you will need to enter Canada by air or enter any other country in the next ten years, you should probably get a passport.